The last four months since my original blog post have been busy. My winter break was dedicated to Jimmy Johns’ and revamping the old EcoFaith website. My mom and I would sit in the living room; I would be in the brown chair with a computer in my lap, while she sat on the love-seat or next to the kitchen table or by the desk. Sometimes I came home after a long shift only to realize she’d been working for five hours continuously.
With my mom doing the brunt of the work, the website was making large strides–until disaster struck. After a seemingly friendly update, every single colon, period, comma, and quotation mark was transformed into a long series of numbers and letters. My job was to rid the interface of this weird code entirely. Unfortunately not a page was left untainted, and I began the tedious job of scanning and deleting.
Gathering and implementing ideas from Pastor Robyn and Jennilee Porch, we decided on a sliding banner and a separate resource page. We tried to simplify the interface by minimizing the tabs and using a white theme. Although some pages are identical to the previous website, we tried to redesign main pages by adding plugins and flipsnack pdfs.
Throughout my internship, I have definitely learned patience and time management skills. With the full workload of college, I don’t have unlimited time to resolve coding issues. Since I’m only allotted a specific amount of free time, I try to work efficiently, relying on my mom for guidance when the solution is unclear. For my remaining time as an intern, I intend to edit and upload more Eco-Reformation videos to the website and facebook, along with writing website “how-to” documents for future interns.
To sign up to receive these blog post directly to your email account, click here or on the link in the upper right sidebar of any page at ecofaithrecovery.org.
Please feel free to share this post with others and use the field below to post your thoughts on this topic. Thanks!